Last weekend, I was able to travel with Curtis on a business trip to Panama City Beach, Fla. His company is bidding work on the new international airport going in down there. (I know...international sounds a little over-stated, doesn't it?) Though, I'm not a big fan of the crowded beach, I jumped at the opportunity to get away together and get some beach time.
We stayed at a great little place called Carillon Beach Resort & Spa west of Panama City Beach. It is actually in an area called Carillon Beach. Below are the views from our room in the Inn and one of the four pools.


No doubt, the place we stayed was beautiful and less than a year old. Since the hurricane came through and wiped out a lot of the old places, there are a lot of new resorts. It's been a long time since I've been to PCB and the city officials have done a lot in an effort to turn the city around.
However, I wish I could sit in on one of the city planning meetings. After dinner the first night, Curtis and I decided to ride down Front Beach Road to check out all the changes. No, we didn't cruise the strip with the windows down and our music blaring some vulgar rap music. As tempting as it was, we decided to pass. But, all kidding aside, people are still cruising the strip!! I'm still a little shocked about that. But, back to the city "planning".
When you drive down the road you'll pass the nicest hotel, an all inclusive type, and right next door is "Inn Paradise Motel". I’m sorry, what? You have to do a double-take to be certain of what you're seeing. The thought crossed my mind, do people really want to pay $350 a night and vacation literally a few yards away from a motel flashing "vacancy" in neon pink??? From the looks of some of the places, I would be surprised if they didn't have hourly rates. And this is how it is down the entire road. You'll see a place that looks like a Westin and right next door is some hole-in-the-wall. It's bizarre!
Funny story... one night we went to eat at Bone Fish. It's a great seafood chain I first fell in love with when I lived in Orlando. It's kind of like a Houston's, but seafood style. It's nice, but not pretentious. Anyway, we were sitting at the bar waiting on our table and this late 50s man walks up next to me wearing a tank top (not a sleeve-less shirt -- a true, skinny tank top), his bathing suit and flip-flops and his hair in a pony tail. Clearly not the kind of place you come to straight off the beach. I know I stared...well, simply because I stare. I’m not ashamed to admit it and this drives Curtis crazy. People watching is the best pass-time. God made us ALL different – this is true – and I like to take it all in! I also couldn’t look away because it was like the record scratched on the player when he walked in. That's how out of sync it was. Bizarre.
Anyway, none of this is to say we didn't have a good time. It was great timing for us to just get away! I love traveling and road trips with Curtis. He is really the funniest person to be with. But, no offense if PCB is your beach of choice. I just don’t understand the logic of the city’s planning and layout. I guess going to St. George Island has spoiled us. You sit on the beach hundreds of yards from the nearest house and people.







1 comments:
Cruising the strip... brings back memories :) PCB is not my beach of choice either but it's better than nothing! :) I am gald yall had a good time... fun memories at least!
Post a Comment