Saturday, May 8, 2010

Great is Thy faithfulness!




I've been sitting here for a little while trying to figure out what I was going to write to describe how monumental this day is for me. I'm not entirely sure written words could do it justice.

First, I'll start by saying I have the most fantastic mother. She is such a godly woman and if I could have an ounce of her faith, I'd be a better person. She is one of the reasons I so strongly desired to be a mother.

I could write that being a mother for exactly one month today is everything I dreamed it would be -- but that wouldn't be true. God, in His grace, has made these sweet weeks more than I could have ever dreamed up, begged for or imagined in my wildest dreams.
No one can adequately describe what it's like seeing your own flesh and blood for the first time. That was such a spiritual moment for me. An instant, deep love. But it has only gotten better from that moment. Grey is so alert and will just gaze into my eyes and there is such a strong bond there. The other day, he touched my face with his tiny, sweet hand and I melted. In the morning, his last feeding, he is really over sleeping in his bed. He can never get settled back down to sleep until it's time to get up for the day. So, I let him sleep on my chest. It's the best feeling. I can actually feel his body relax and be at peace enough to give us another hour or two. He fits perfectly on my shoulder and nuzzles his little face in my neck. I love that sometimes the only thing that will settle him down is for me to hold him. I love looking over, as I'm writing this, and seeing Curtis be such a great dad with him.

I could go on and on...

Point being, I love this sweet baby with every fiber of my being. I finally have the job I was made for. Being Grey's mommy is the most natural, challenging, enjoyable, inspiring work my hands have ever touched. I love kissing his sweet little head, telling him how much I love him, how glad I am he's here and how I longed for these days.

Yes, this morning I cried holding my sweet baby ...but this Mother's Day they were tears of joy. Tears of gratefulness to the One who heard my cries, knew the desires of my heart and granted me more than I could have ever dreamed.

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all of my fears." Ps. 34:4

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lam. 3:22-23

I will never forget the brokenness I felt all those Mother's Days before now. It has forever shaped me. I want you who feel that very brokenness today to know that I know your pain and I'm praying you through. For those of you with babies in heaven, know I'm celebrating your Mother's Day too!






Great is thy faithfulness O God, my Father! Morning by morning new mercies I see! All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness Lord unto me!

5 comments:

kristen elaine said...

Praise Jesus for His faithfulness & your sweet baby Grey! Happy Mother's Day Sarah!

Becca Daws said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sarah! And Grey looks JUST like you in picture # 2!!

The Fokens Family said...

Happy First Mother's Day! God IS so faithful to your family and it's so wonderful that you continually sing His praises. You can't help but see His grace by staring at your miracle baby!
~Erica

Ashly said...

What a well written post! I'm rejoicing with you this mother's day over your sweet boy! He is just precious:)

See you Wednesday!

Kimberly Jones said...

Well now I am crying, but tears of joy too! What a blessing Grey is and such a cutie too! So glad you had such a wonderful Mother's Day! Love you!