Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Absence of Audible Response

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm reading the most remarkable book by Oswald Chambers on prayer "If Ye Shall Ask...". In chapter five, he is referring to Jesus' delay when he heard Lazarus died. Read what he writes about God's silence that can often be mistaken as an unanswered prayer. It ties right into my previous post about believing.


"Jesus stayed two days where He was without sending a word. We are apt to say, 'I know God has not answered my prayer, it is because I asked for something wrong.' It is quite true that God does not answer some prayers because they are wrong, but that is so obvious that it does not need a revelation from God to understand it. God wants us to stop understanding in the way we have and get into the place He wants us to get into, i.e. He wants us to know how to rely on Him. God's silences are His answers. Can it be said of us that Jesus so loved us that He stayed where He was because He knew we had a capacity to stand a bigger revelation? Has God trusted us with a silence, a silence that is absolutely big with meaning? That is His answer. The manifestation will come in a way beyond any possibility of comprehension. His silence is a big with meaning that you cannot understand yet, but presently you will. Time is nothing to God. Prayers offered years ago and God answered the soul with silence; now He is giving the manifestation of the answer in a revelation that we are scarcely able to comprehend."



Wow! I think Oswald Chambers is top on my list of great men to sit with when I get to heaven. His knowledge of our Father is so deep.

A few things I took away from the section...(I had to stop to take it all in). First, it is impossible for us to understand God's ways because we are human. He does reveal Himself to us a little at a time, but we'll never fully understand how great and marvelous -- and perfectly timed -- are His ways until we're made perfect in heaven. But I love that my sweet Father takes the time to "get us into the place He wants us to get into...relying on Him". He doesn't have to do that, but He does because His love for us is so HUGE! Next, relying on Him... Totally a given since we can't fully understand His ways. But, why don't I do that more? Seems silly in hindsight. But the honest truth of it is, I begin to trust and rely, then I get comfortable and that's when it happens...I quit trusting. Before I know it, I've gone two steps forward and three steps back.

Also, "His silence is big with meaning". Don't you love that? He's not holding out on me after all. Quite the opposite. He loves me so much that He can't bring the actual answer until I learn what it is He has for me. This totally drives me to fully seek Him in times when I'm unsure of what He's up to. With everything inside me, I want to know that "bigger meaning" and I hate that I loose sight of that sometimes!

Lastly, "time is nothing to God"... isn't this true? Wow, I really don't have words for this because in my mind it's so huge -- yet, doesn't it put everything in perspective? What seems like forever, just isn't to Him. Thankfully it's this way or He just might think it's taking forever to teach me trust! :)

Father, I am so reminded of how vastly different we are -- and I'm thankful. Thankful that You are entirely perfect in all Your ways and timing. Lord, I long to know the 'bigger meaning' of this silence and waiting period. I don't mean the 'why', but rather the 'bigger meaning' of You. I want to know You, see You at work, see Your perfect plan for my life. I know You are revealing that, but give me eyes to see it. Slow me down and force me to see it. Thank You for Your servant Oswald Chambers. Thank You for revealing Yourself to him, so he could in-turn spell it out for a layman like myself!

2 comments:

kristen elaine said...

thank you for this post, you've blessed my heart!

Shannon said...

GREAT post! How neat that He can "trust us with a silence" ... I'm excited to see how God will bless you with what He's entrusted you with and how deep you're going with Him to find contentment and strength. Thanks for sharing!!