God is so good to me. Last week, I was at work and happened to be in the maternity section when this couple walked in. After about an hour of helping them with clothes, we finally made it up to the register when the husband asks, "do you have any kids?" I replied with the usual, "No, but we definitely want kids." This sweet couple immediately went into their story of longing for a child for over four years before their little girl was born.
This encounter was great for a number of reasons. First, normally I hate the "do you have kids" question, but this time was different. Second, I have never been around a couple that just exuded peace. They were the most peaceful people I've ever met. It's hard to describe, but they were just at peace! Ultimately, I know the Lord planned that whole meeting because I'm never in maternity and, as a manager, I never get to spend that much one-on-one time with customers.
Anyway, they began to tell me about how they were praying so hard for a baby. This missionary woman at their church approached the lady and said, "do you believe that you'll have a baby?" She said, "yeah, I mean...I see my-self pregnant." "NO! Do you see your-self with your babies? Do you actually see your children? THAT is the kind of faith God is calling you to." She went on to say, "Sarah, it was so true. And, that's the kind of faith God is also calling you to. It's a faith thing. You just gotta believe to the point that you see it even when you can't see it and give thanks in advance for what He's going to do!" She went on to explain after they had their daughter that they believed this would be their only child. She was so perfect and since she wasn't getting pregnant again that this was all for them. Another person came up to her and said, "you are so hung up on this one blessing that you can't see the store house of blessings God has for you. You have to believe that He will do immeasurably more than we can ask."
I know I've touched on this a little before, but I have really bad habit of putting God in a box. I don't even realize it until after I've done it. I say God is the giver of life, but then I put a ton of my hope in a new doctor or prescription. Then, I look back and see that my faith is man or medicine, not God.
The couple also told me about this book, Supernatural Childbirth. They lost me a little with the title. I thought, "sounds like a crock and if I bring that home Curtis will definitely think I'm crazy" but I agreed to look it up. They went on to explain that the authors teach you how to pray scripture for conception, through pregnancy and birth. Praying scripture really caught my attention so I said to myself, "well, I'll call Barnes & Noble and if they have it and it's not expensive I'll get it." What do you know... they had it and it was only $10.
Frankly, it's the best $10 I've ever spent. The couple writes about their journey through a "no children ever" diagnoses to having four children -- all by believing that God has the final say and authority and praying scripture. I highly encourage all of you to get it! They write out all of the scriptures and even their prayers to conceive. The book also has a section about praying against troubled pregnancy or miscarriage and a part that's just testimonies. It's so encouraging to read how God has worked through these couples simply through faith.
But think about it, isn't God calling all of us to a deeper faith? Isn't He constantly calling us to know Him better by trusting Him more and more? Shouldn't we view Him as the final authority? We all want to have great faith stories, but that's impossible by ourselves. We have to dig into the Word, ask according to His will and believe it has been done. We just have to believe! Imagine the possibilities...we would be blessed abundantly more than we could ask or imagine. Just believe. Get to know the God of all creation better, begin trusting Him and just believe.
Friends, this post really doesn't just have to just deal with infertility. Is your marriage suffering? You know it is God's will that you and your husband be united in Him. Ask and believe He will do it! Are your children out of control? You know it's His will that they be obedient. Ask and believe that He'll break their strong will. Are you enslaved by debt? You know it's God's will that you only have one Master -- Him. Ask and believe He will see you through to living debt free. Are you single? You know marriage was God's plan. Ask for your spouse and believe He will bring that to pass. We simply have to start asking and believing!! Believing, knowing it has already been done.
Lord Jesus, You tell us in Your Word 'this is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He will hear us. And if we know He hears us -- whatever we ask -- we know we have what we ask of Him'. Father, You also say that You make the barren woman to keep house and be the happy mother of children'. I believe that. I believe You are the giver of life. I believe You will even fill my womb with life. Lord, I trust You and Your timing. Lord, trusting doesn't make the wait easier. Even Jesus experienced this is the garden just before His crucifixion. His trust was fully in You, yet He knew the cross would be hard. Father, come quickly. Increase my faith to the fullest measure -- abundant and running over. Keep the evil one at bay. Help me to think on that which is pure and holy rather than doubts and fears. Thank You for the cross which gives me the ability to have faith and trust even when I can't see it. Expand my faith beyond just infertility, but cause me, by the power of Your name, to also believe and trust in all circumstances. Amen.
Monday, March 16, 2009
"You just gotta believe!"
Posted by sjefferson at 7:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
Great Post Sarah! I am so glad God brought that couple your way. I love it when he uses others to help us see what he is trying to teach us!! I love you!
Thanks Sarah - a great and encouraging post - I can hear the change in your writing. When you are tempted to doubt, come back and read it again.
Also, very good friends of mine at Apostles read the same book. They were told that she did not ovulate and would not have babies. I prayed with this woman as she streamed tears in a way that was reminiscient of Hannah. I knew in that moment, she would conceive and have babies. They went to a fertility specialist and they decided to wait and to pray for the right time. She would lead worship and she would sing, "He will cause a barren woman to dance like the mother of children" and I would just rejoice knowing she would be a mother of children. They had their first - all praise and glory. They expected a hard time but bam, bam, two more. They have three now - Praise the Lord.
The funniest part is their doctor kept asking them, "We didn't do any treatment?" She would say, "No."
I'm not saying anything against fertility treatment - I do not know the specifics of anyone's case but I have TIME AND TIME again seen the blessing of children to women who have been named barren. I believe it for you and with you.
Sometime I'll tell you about my experience in London. There is story after story. God is good!
Great Wisdom! Keep believing.
Hey Sarah! I enjoy reading your blog. Today's was a blessing. I am praying for you and Curtis!-cathy
Post a Comment