Friday, February 27, 2009

"Well, are ya' pregnant, honey?"

This morning, I went in for some routine lab work. When you take clomid, you have to have blood tests done on cycle day 21. For me, going to the doctor during fertility stuff is always a huge mix of emotions. On one hand, I'm excited to find out something new. On the other hand, seeing lots of pregnant bellies, happy momma's, ultrasounds pictures, and new born babies is sometimes hard. I can honestly say, I've never felt jealousy over seeing or hearing about someone being pregnant. However, some encounters are a vivid reminder of a deep longing unfulfilled...which is nearly always followed up with a bit of sadness...and maybe even a small pity party. (Just being honest...)

So, I arrived at the office right on time for my 9 a.m. appointment. The place was packed! ...with all pregnant women, two women in their 50's or 60's and me. Fun. The lady at the front desk calls me up and says quite loudly and very southern, "Say-rah Jefferson, when were you here last? We can't find your file." I walk up and say, "I was just here in December." To which she replies in the same loud tone, "Hmmm, well are ya' pregnant, honey?" In my mind were a millions thoughts: "my odds are in favor of no"..."would my being pregnant or not pregnant help you find my file"..."oh, I almost forgot -- no I'm not"..."I'm sorry, could you say that a little louder, I'm not sure the Hispanic lady could understand what insensitive information you were asking me". I gritted my teeth and said firmly, "I don't know, that's why I'm here."

I have to stop the story here. Please make a note-to-self should you encounter someone dealing/struggling (because it is a struggle) with infertility. Frankly, I think this is a good common list of rules for encountering anyone. Because unless you can read minds, you don't know what some one's history is.

1. Don't ever ask someone if they are pregnant! I know this should go without saying, but frankly -- so should this whole list -- and yet, I'm still having to write it. I'm astounded at how many people have asked me and other friends this.

2. Don't ever ask someone if they have children. Simply learn to say "tell me a little about yourself". Whatever they choose to tell, is all they want to tell at this point. I can't stand when people want you to pour out your inner most secrets, when small-talk is sufficient.

3. If you ever know in advance that someone is dealing with infertility, don't say "I heard you guys are trying to have a baby! I also heard you're having trouble getting pregnant...well, good luck with that!" True story. (You can't make this kind of stuff up.) Happened to me this month!

4. Don't ever offer advice or say "I know what you're going through" unless you have personally experienced infertility. Simply say, "I'm sorry you have to go through this. I want you to know I'm praying for you." This offends me more than anything. I want to say, "Really? You have two children and one on the way...how is your experience remotely close to 20 months of trying and still no children???" Having your faith stretched in other areas, just isn't the same. You wouldn't tell someone diagnosed with terminal cancer, "boy, I know just how you feel. I had the worst cold last month." or someone who lost their husband, "I know just how you feel. Curtis travels a few times a month." That's how it sounds when you say "I know how you feel" but you actually haven't lived it.

5. "Well, you just need to relax and de-stress -- then you'll get pregnant." Medical fact: infertility is not stress induced. It's not. It might be a very small, contributing factor -- but it is not the cause.

6. "Once you quit thinking about it, it will happen when you least expect it." Medical fact: infertility is not a state of mind. Aside from that, if not thinking about it would cause me to get pregnant I would (a.) never get pregnant because making a baby requires some thought or (b.) we would never have a baby because we're at a point in our life that we'd like to have one...so we wait in hopeful expectation.

Last, but not least...

7. "You're still young and you guys haven't been married that long." This rationale is number one most offensive to me. Would you tell a woman who lost her husband in an accident on their wedding night, "at least you weren't married long" or a mother who is to bury her baby "well, at least you didn't get to know him"?? NO! And, who are you to suggest what age and length of time a couple should wait before they try to conceive?

**Sympathizing through listening, telling them you're thinking of them and praying is often all someone needs!!**

Sorry, back to the story... After nearly an hour of waiting, they finally found my chart and called me back. I had to wait again in the hallway until the nurse was ready to do the blood work. During my wait, I heard a couple having an ultrasound. I think that is the most miraculous sound. It's the beat of life. That must be such an exhilarating moment to hear your baby's heart beating! On the outside listening in, it was the saddest sound. Every fiber of my being longs to hear the heartbeat of our babies. Right about then, another couple sits on the couch across from me beaming with excitement as they look at their numerous ultrasound pictures. It was so hard to fight back tears. Isn't it the waiting in life that's the hardest?

On a side note, I found If Ye Shall Ask by Oswald Chambers at my mom's this week. It was my grandmother's and I knew it was good if she read it. Plus, it was printed in 1948. It is the all-time best book on prayer! I'll finish with a couple of my favorite excerpts. His writings and prayers are incredibly rich.

"O Lord, this day may Thy beauty and grace and soothing peace be in and upon me, and may no wind or weather or anxiety ever touch Thy beauty and Thy peace in my life or in this place."

I love this..."Lord, our God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of Whom Jesus is the very image, I look to Thee and make my prayer. Bless me this hour with the feeling of Thy presence and the glow of Thy nearness, for I do trust in Thee and hope only in Thee."

"Lord God Omnipotent, how my soul delights to know that Thou dost care for sparrows and numberest the hairs of our head! Lord, breathe on me till I am in the frame of mind and body to worship Thee."

My favorite so far... "O Lord, I would seek Thy face now, but what avail is my seeking if Thou revealest not Thyself? Show me Thy face, O Lord. Keep me ever seeing Thee!"

Amen! Father, keep me ever seeing Thee! My hope is in You.

7 comments:

Becca Daws said...

Amen!! Oh, Sarah - again, reading your post is like replaying the exact same moments of our infertility. I so hurt with you and know -- oh how I remember and had those exact same thoughts!

One time while I was sitting in the room waiting next to the ultrasound room at the infertility specialist, and I heard a couple in there seeing their baby on ultrasound for the first time, and it was magical. I just let myself daydream what that must have felt like. The woman just couldn't contain herself she was so happy. It was a sad feeling for me. I just wondered what that must have felt like and wondered if I would ever see that. I remember wonderind in one of my posts what it would feel like to see something other than barren, black nothingness on the u/s screen.

I too remember going to the OB office when I was on Clomid for my day 21 and having the EXACT feelings. I hated it. The only good thing about moving to the specialist was not having to face the pg bellies each time I was there. It's all normal.

If you ever need someone to listen, please call me -- I really mean that. I read your stuff and it is truly like looking into a window of our past struggle.

Hugs to you.

Bethany said...

oh dear Sarah...I hear your pain - I do not feel it the same because I am not married and waiting - I am single and waiting - but I know the pain of a very strong desire going unfulfilled - for a husband and a family.

To be single and wanting always sounds desperate to people and it hurts so much to constantly hear, "Be satisfied, be content, when you stop looking, love will come...just when I stopped looking, I met my husband...I was content in the Lord and with singleness and then I got married. Perhaps you should...lose weight, cut your hair, try a different church, go on-line, go out more, be more approachable, ask a guy out, etc...you aren't getting any younger." God is not manipulative. He does not withhold a good thing from His child. It may not be comforting to hear but it is the Truth. His gifts to us are not dependent on our goodness or perfection..if they were, He'd never give us anything...well not me, at least.

What I have learned in my waiting is that we must be vigilent against letting a bitter root take hold. People are VERY poor at relating to other people's pain - very few have been gifted with true mercy and compassion. People are also extremely self-centered - especially God's people (unforunately). I, my friend, am the worst of sinners in this area.

What I do know is that those who truly love you want this for you as much, if not more, than you do.
I know thousands of prayers have gone up on your behalf. I know that God gives life and His ways and thoughts are so much higher than ours. I have NO IDEA why He is delaying and if I were Him, I would not - because the desire of your heart is apparent and real and the pain is heartbreaking to watch - even from afar.

However, it is so important to think the best of people - to think that they mean good things when they say these things. If they do not, it is God's responsibility to deal with them. I sure want someone to think that way about me. Most of us just don't know what to say or how to say it - and we are pulling some crud from the back of our minds we heard once that sounded helpful and are offering it as hope. Unfortunately, it is not the hope you need or will find healing in and it pours salt in a very painful wound. What do we do when it stings, we bite back..or we shut down...or we mark that person down as insensitive and not a true friend. The enemy would like nothing more than to see brothers and sisters separated in pain. God's hope is that our pain will draw us to Him and unite us in community - seeking healing and comfort from those who know us, love us, and lift us up in prayer.

I hope this post is not salt..I hope it love because I think and pray for you all the time..I cannot wait to hear the words, "I AM PREGNANT" from you and by God's grace, I will.

Brooke said...

i love this!! i'm thinking of having it put on a t-shirt!!!

Kimberly Jones said...

Sarah...I am so sorry the whole appointment wasn't the best expereince. I so wish I could make this better for you!!! Just know that I am praying for you, and I am always here. I love you!

Ashly said...

geez! I'd almost report her to the office manager for being so rude. Thanks for posting the 'What not to say' items. The worlds needs to read those!
See ya tomorrow

Laura Ripley said...

Hey Sarah! Another positive for you. You will have such compassion for those who are struggling with infertility. You will pray for others with such sincerity. And I wand to say... well said and written to bethy31. Such great wisdom.

The Fokens Family said...

Sarah,I'm taking notes. You have so much wisdom. Thank you for sharing. I had a hard lesson on waiting when I was single. Waiting on the Lord for a husband was a difficult period of life for me. It seemed like everyone was getting married and I was going to shower after shower. Being a bridesmaid was wonderful, but I always wondered when my turn would be. Praying that the Lord would bless you in great measure!
~Erica