Thursday, March 25, 2010

Much ado about nothing...

I was talking to Curtis last week and he asked me a pretty pointed question. “Why don’t you post anymore about what the Lord is doing in your life?” The question kind of caught me off guard. I knew my posts had turned a lot more informational, but I hadn’t allowed myself much time to think why. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized it’s a couple of reasons.

Fear. Not fear to post about what the Lord is teaching me, but that I feel like I’m constantly battling a spirit of fear. Honestly, it’s a fear that something is going to happen to prevent me from knowing a healthy, living Grey.

Second reason I haven’t really posted is because I haven’t really felt like there was really anything to share. During our infertility, the Lord was pouring down words of encouragement through His Word. I felt like I was learning something new every time I opened His Word.

But I was wrong to think, that this time during my pregnancy with Grey, He wasn’t also trying to teach me something. When Curtis asked me that question I realized what exactly the Lord was trying to teach me.

Being still, knowing that He is God, He’s in control, and resting in His arms. Just simply trusting and thus, resting.

There is such a stigma on the word fear, isn’t there? I find that in the Christian world very few people will admit to being fearful…especially if you believe that God is Sovereign and in control of all things.

Why is that? After all, we are all human and bad, unexpected things do happen. Is it because in the Christian community we are often too quick to counsel someone, “don’t worry, God’s in control” like it’s a slogan for a park at Disney? Could it be that too often we really don’t want to hear someone’s fears for fear that we’ll have to know too much, get involved or see them through to a better resolution?

I’m here to admit that for the majority of this pregnancy, I have really, really battled fear. However, I have not lived in a state of fear by God’s grace! I recognize that those fears are not of Him and claim His promises over Satan’s lies. But they do still surface.

I think that’s the mix up. Fear is going to arise. The turning point is – what are you doing with that fear?? Are you wrapped up in it? Living in it? Being it? Or do you recognize it for what it is and recognize God for how much BIGGER He is than that fear?

What are you fearful of? What constantly worries you? I want to encourage you to dig into the Word and claim God’s promises over your fears. Turn that fear into a specific prayer request. For example, “Lord, I pray that you would sustain Grey’s life in my womb, so that I might celebrate his life, hear his cries and teach him of this mighty God who made Him!”

Are you around others who remain fearful? Don’t be so quick to give counsel not to worry. Instead, take time to pray for them specifically, encourage them in God’s promises to His people.
In some ways the label of “Christian walk” implies that you are constantly moving, constantly attaining new promises…just never standing still. That is actually not true. I’ve found that, I’m not always “moving” in my walk. There are times when the command is to be still, seek Me and learn this principal. Really learn it.

This is where I am. I really feel like trust is something He’s really wanting me to seek from Him and learn. I have not even come close to mastering it, but I’m leaning further and further into Him and finding tremendous peace there.

I want to leave you with some great prayers of scripture from Beth Moore’s book “Praying God’s Word”.

Father, so often I feel like the boy’s father who first exclaimed, “I do believe!” then in a flood of sincerity cried out, “Help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24) Please help me overcome my own unbelief, Lord, so I can start taking You at Your Word.

Father, I pray that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened in order that I may know the hope to which You have called me, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints, and Your incomparably great power for us who believe! (Eph. 1:18-19)

Father God, according to Your Word, without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to You must believe that You exist and that You reward those who earnestly seek You. (Heb. 11:6) Lord, I want to please You. Build faith in me so my life will honor the life of Your Son.

If you feel comfortable enough, feel free to post your fears and I’ll be honored to pray over those. …or you can email me at sarah.jefferson@comcast.net.

“Faith never denies reality but leaves room for God to grant a new reality.”
-Jim Cymbala

4 comments:

Laura Ripley said...

Great post Sarah. I know that I myself have missed many of God's blessing because I hold onto fear. Such a tough lesson to learn. I believe we as women and mother's struggle more with fear. God has and continues daily to teach me about releasing my fears to him. This verse helps me to remember that God will help me daily.

Hebrews 4:15-16 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet with out sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Jill said...

Hey Sarah! I love this post. I struggled with fear SO much in my pregnancy as well...it forced me to confront some big things in my heart for sure. Love the verses from Beth's book...going to go try to find that one now. Praying for you.

Ashly said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. I will specifically be praying against fear in these last few days of pregnancy. It was fun hanging out this weekend. I can't wait to meet your son!

Bethany said...

Great word.

There is always something to be fearful about, right? In every stage there will be something to be fearful or to worry about.

It is NEVER ending. There has to be a point where we say, "No more. That sentence of worry and fear will not become a paragraph in my mind." When we think all about the what-ifs, we lose the joy of the present day.

I agree, a lot of people blow others off when they are struggling with a quick 'Don't worry God is in control' or a 'I will pray for you.' However, there are those who can say with confidence, "If the mountains fall into the sea, He is an ever-present help in time of trouble. God is our portion and our strength." True Biblical encouragement is life-giving.

Daily I fear that I will not marry. I fear that is not God's will for me. The fear leads to great sin and envy in me. I struggle with feelings of abandonment by God and those who have had their prayers fulfilled who move on and forget the pain of waiting. Hoping. Am I abandoned by God? No. Man, maybe. God, never. What I think is WRONG so I have to battle against it - speak Truth to it. I find that there is a root to fear and it is almost never what we are struggling with on the surface.

My greatest relief has been in the messages from people who have said, "When you stand before the throne of God, He will be all that matters. There is only one bride and bridegroom. We are all children of God. Everything - your marriage, your children, your pain will melt away in God's presence on that day."

THAT brings me comfort. It is living water and the bread of life. I have found the most freedom in these thoughts - that this is temporal and that is eternal.

Sure, some people are superficial and self-focused and do not want to know or walk with another. However, there are those who also remind us that God is it..He is enough..in the pain, in the heartache, in the joy...He is enough. We don't know anything else. You can't tell me I'll get married and have a family and I can't tell you your baby will be healthy. However, I can tell you God loves us both and He has not brought us this far to leave us or foresake us.

Our LIFE is in Christ. That is not a trite Christian saying - that is the only Truth worth standing on. There will be trials of many kinds here but TAKE HEART - He has overcome the world - even death.

I love you very much. I must admit I prayed so earnestly for you to become pregnant but I have been remiss in continuing in my prayers. I will continue to pray for your comfort, your rest in Christ, and the health of your beautiful baby boy. I can't wait to meet him and touch his big chubby cheeks.

P.S. This is WAY too long and was more for my heart...LOL