As many of you know, (...or maybe you don't know) I've been a runner for a while now. My dad was a huge runner when I was little and I have some great memories of going to watch him race. He would even take me along on some shorts runs.
The older I've gotten the more I feel like I was made to run. I know this is not all that common, but I really love to run. It's hard to describe, but it's the one activity where I feel like I can really clear my head. And when it's all said and done, I love the feeling of accomplishment and the great way you feel after a long run.
I wish today that I could go for a long run. I feel the need to just clear my head.
I don't know that this is common amongst all runners, but I get this super anxious feeling before every race. It's that butterflies in the stomach, adrenaline rush, just anxious feeling. Once the race starts and I'm off and running the feeling immediately subsides. But, I can never really explain why I get that feeling before.
That is how I feel today.
Ever since my doctor's appointment on Tuesday I've felt so overwhelmed and anxious. It has nothing to do with not being prepared. This house has never been more in order and ready! I think the battle with infertility really does something to you. Some good things and some bad.
I certainly wouldn't change the two and half years it took us to conceive our precious little Grey. Curtis and I are more "one" than ever. Praise God, He really bound our marriage and relationship together. It has also transformed our relationships with the Lord. You know that song, "I am a friend of God"? That's how I feel. Like He's really my friend. That He's always here. Never will He leave us. Never will He forsake us. He with us good, bad, indifferent.
The other, not so great, aspect of infertility is that during it you mourn the loss of a dream. I was pretty convinced that we may never have children that shared our DNA. So, when we became pregnant it was SO shocking. We literally stared at each other and the test in complete disbelief.
While I have loved every single second of this pregnancy, I guess it really hasn't hit me how monumental this answer to prayer has been. I can't seem to take it all in. I cannot believe that in 24 hours, I'm going to be holding this long-awaited love that our hearts have ached to see and touch.
I was telling Curtis this other night, "I guess I just didn't think we'd make it this far." I hate that I doubted God that way, but I did. Curtis never seemed to...and with good reason. He is mighty to save! He pulled us from the depths of despair to this joyous mountain top. It's a horrible coping mechanism that won't let you hope too much and I hate it. I want to trust God with such abandon.
But more than all of this is the overwhelming feeling of God's love for us. Easter I kept thinking, indeed we serve a living God. He is the very creator and giver of this life in my belly. The hearer of our prayers. The giver of our dreams.
Tonight we'll head to the hospital to start the process to Grey. I have the best doctor and would honestly trust him with my life! I really feel like he has and is invested in this process. During this whole pregnancy, he has arranged for us to only meet with him. I'm thrilled that he is going to see Grey into the world safely.
I think once we see that little face and hear his sweet cries, there will be such healing in our hearts. I hope that "go to" doubt will forever vanish. I can't wait!
Please pray for us. I've been so anxious today and like my running anxiety, I'm not sure why. I guess the "unknown". (This is where a run would be nice.) But instead, God is calling me to take a HUGE leap of faith and just trust. I can't control anything that will happen. But I do trust that we serve a Sovereign God and I trust that His ways are perfect.
I'll leave you with a couple of verses that have brought immense comfort over the past 3 years.
"We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust His holy name. May Your unfailing love rust upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in You." Ps. 33:20-22
"I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears." Ps. 34:4
"Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Ps. 16:5-6
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord you God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Is. 43:1-3
We serve a mighty God, whose love for us cannot be measured or understood. Praise the Lord!
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Hello anxiety.
Posted by sjefferson at 6:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







9 comments:
Oh Sarah I will be praying for you and the baby. I think the unknown is very scary. I mean I know you and Curtis got to watch some awesome birthing videos but that does not really do much for anxiety. I think it is perfectly reasonable to be anxious when you know some physical pain is coming. (Not to bad of coarse thanks to modern medicine) I think I'm trying to say that what you are feeling is normal. God will be with you and Coach Curtis will be right by your side. Once that sweet boy is in your arms it will all be worth it. I will be thinking of you all day and checking in often. Try to post a picture A.S.A.P. Love you!!!!
Sarah, I don't know if you remember me from high school (long time ago, I know) but I have really enjoyed reading your blog and your journey through pregnancy. You have such a genuine love for your husband and you share such an infectious excitement while on your path to having Grey. I hope this isn't creepy, but I will be praying for you over the next few days. Blessings!
*amy turner cathy
Sarah, I know we don't even really know each other, just through Ashly, but I am so SO thrilled for you and so relate to this post (again, as I said about your last post!!). I will be praying in these days and can't wait to follow along! I remember saying "I just can't even picture that I'll be holding a baby soon"..there are just some things in life that your brain just can't process. Thrilled for you and praying.
Grey is coming! Grey is coming! Whoo hoo! Praise be to God!
I'm so excited for you! I completely relate to this post. I know those anxious feelings!
I'm praying for you throughout today and tomorrow. God will bring you peace and comfort. I love you so much!
Sarah, your blog has been such an encouragement to my faith. I struggle with anxiety myself, and a need to control things, when in reality I know His plans are what I really want and what I need most. Know that you will be lifted up in prayer, and that the same God who gifted you with Grey will hold you in His righteous right hand. Here's a verse that I am focusing on claiming when anxiety takes a hold on me: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
Your post gave me chill bumps! I remember experiencing some of the same feelings! I will be praying for you and baby Grey! I can not wait to get the announcement!!
Sarah~ Every mother can relate to this post...whether having dealt with infertility or not....let me tell you, your feelings are completely legitimate and shared by many. I am so thankful for this beautiful pregnancy for you, and I'm glad to have been a part of seeing you grow (literally...:) and glow with more and more excitement as you near the hour of meeting Grey! I can't wait to hear your birth story, and I'll be keeping in touch anyway that I can. Take it all in momma! It's the most beautiful and emotional experience in your life!!!! Praying~ Summer :)
You know we are praying and cannot wait to welcome Grey into this world along side your family! Enjoy every moment, you'll never forget it! I am praying for a smooth delivery and for God to calm your nerves...it'll be perfect! I love you lots!
i'm SOOOO excited for you my sweet friend! i'm praying for peace, both internally and externally, for all three of you. i pray God will heighten your senses so you can take in every detail of meeting your sweet little man, and understand as much as we are able, the magnitude of his miraculous little life. thankful to be walking along with you=)
Post a Comment