Sunday, January 18, 2009

New York, New York!

What a trip! Mom and I went to New York City for her Christmas present from Dad. He said he would send her to NYC if I would go as her tour guide. I think all the travel to the city burnt him out. No need to twist my arm! He was hardly finished asking if I would go before I said, "Yes! Of course!!" I spent a semester there in college and traveled there quite a bit for business. I really love the big city.

Ashly and her mom, Kathy, decided to come with us at the last minute. They are so fun, so it was such a great girls trip! I don't think I've ever done this much in four days. We walked everywhere! My hips were killing me. Odd, right? I'm getting old...sigh.

Note to self, New York City is cold in January! So, if we look like the kid on Christmas Story all bundled up...well, it's because we are. But, the cold didn't stop us.




















Mom and I outside of the M&M's World! LOVE M&M's!















We stayed at The Waldorf-Astoria. What a great historic hotel!






























We went to the top of the Empire State Building and what a view! The black building is where dad used to have to come for business.






























While we were there, mom and I went to see Mamma Mia. It was the best show! I've heard good and bad things about the movie, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. You have to see this show! It was so funny and just plain entertaining!! Ashly and Kathy saw Wicked and loved it too.














I love the inside of all the different churches.
















We braved the cold and took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Ashly and I lost our minds and went up top to get some pictures. I couldn't feel my face, but I got some great pictures.


















I found this picture interesting. It looks like Lady Liberty has been crying... Hmmm.
































Who is this I'm hugging? None other than Joseph Pulitzer...of the Pulitzer Prize. This is every writers dream! ...including mine. One day. One day.

We of course went to see the World Trade Center site. To our surprise, there is now a World Trade Center Gallery. This was by far my favorite part of the trip! You must go there next time you are in New York City.
It's run completely by volunteers. What's more atonishing, our walking tour guide, Maureen, lost her husband on 9/11. He was a firefighter leutenant that is believed to have been in the south tour when it fell. For two hours, I was totally consumed in what she was saying. She retold the events of that horrible day in such detail, I almost felt like I was there. It was so moving!
At the end, we thanked her for sharing her time and story and told her how blessed we were. She said she does it so that no one will forget her husband and his sacrifice. Can you imagine? What a strong woman to volunteer her time and relive that day!















This represents all the 343 New York firefighters that died that day. 343! Wow!


























Inside of the gallery, they have the most amazing findings. Above is a window to one of the planes. Oh, the things that poor soul looking out this window saw!










This was in the courtyard of the World Trade Center. It was placed there to represent world peace. Ironic. I can't believe it survived the fall of the buildings, but it did. It's now in Battery Park.














Here we all are in the financial district posing with the bull.

I'm so thankful we were all able to go on this trip! We had the best time touring the city, talking over great food and spending time together. It was encouraging to talk to our moms about marriage, parenting and just life. They are both so wise! I have so much to learn!

1 comments:

Kasey and Tyler Brindle said...

Sarah~

I love all your pictures from NYC! I have been planning on going for the past five years for my 30th bday and can't wait, 9 months! Hope you and Curtis are doing well!

Kasey