Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Couple of Quick Funnies...

Two stories...

Guess what? I'm not the hugest fan of rap music. I know this may come as a surprise, but it's true.

Last night Curtis and I went to eat at La Parilla for Cinco De Mayo. We pulled in and there was a HUGE celebration going on. I mean, they had part of the parking lot roped off and a DJ playing super loud music. (It was so loud, I couldn't wait to get inside! I just thought we'd see a live mariachi band, but whatever.)

I jumped out to put our name in and there was the most hilarious rap song playing called Stanky Legg. (I've done a little research on this song...that's the only reason I know it has two g's.) The song over and over says, "Do da stankly legg, do da stanky legg, do da stanky legg". As you might remember, music has huge meaning to me. I really pay attention to the words of a song. So finally I looked at Curtis, like the naive gal that I am and scream over the music, "what is 'do da stanky legg'? What does that even mean?!?!?" Of course he didn't know, which actually surprised me. He works with a lot of young Tech grads that keep him abreast the latest music and lingo.

Some friends of ours arrive and were privileged to hear this great song too. And I posed the same question...still screaming, "what in the heck does 'do da stanky leg mean?!?!?'" The wife couldn't hear and screams back, "did you say stinky leg?" "No," I replied emphatically sounding it out. "Stan-ky. It's stanky legg! Not stin-ky."

So, today at work I knew some of the college-aged, club going gals could enlighten me. After all, they are forever laughing about how I don't know all the slang. Seriously, I'm totally out of the loop to how kids talk these days. I always say "I'm sorry, what? What does that mean?" Once it's explained I often say, "why not just use regular ole' English?" This is apparently really funny. Whatever.

Anyway... I say, "I have a bizarre question for you. Last night Curtis and I went to dinner and the DJ was playing this crazy rap song 'Do Da Stanky Legg'. What does that mean?!?!?" After she stopped laughing she replied, "it's a dance." And explained, "you stand on one leg and basically do clockwise leg circles and 'grind' at the same time." Another associate overhears and seriously ponders the conversation and asks totally seriously, "Mmm hmm, that's interesting. Now, do you do this dance alone or do you need someone to 'grind' on?"

It was too funny. So there you have it folks. "Do Da Stanky Legg" is apparently taking the clubs by storm!

...And I feel super old!

---

As you know, we just got back a couple of weekends ago from seeing Jake in Columbus, Ga. Mom went and bravely took along all five grand kids. In an effort to make the morning more efficient, I rallied the kiddos to take their showers before bed. They quickly rattled off, "I'm first!!" "I'm second!!"...

One by one, they went in and out. One of the boys was heading in empty handed. I say, "where are your pjs?" He says, "I don't need any. I'll just put my clothes back on." "Ewe!" I replied. "No, the point of showering is to get clean and then put clean clothes on. Go get some." He comes back down and I was near the linen closet. So I say, "here's your towel". He quickly scoots past me before I can give him a wash cloth. I say, "Wait! Here's a wash cloth." And without a thought he replied, "Naaa, I'm good." "What???", I reply. And again he naturally replies, "I don't really do wash cloths." So I said, "Well, okay but just so you know one day you're going to be interested in girls and they'll want you to do wash cloths and put clean clothes on after you shower. Just promise me you won't wait until your married to get to that point. Okay?"

I'm sure the thought went through his mind, "Silly Aunt Sarah...clean clothes and wash cloths. She's crazy."

I didn't see the first boy come out before the next boy jumped in. Remember, I was the one handing out towels. So, I just assumed he helped himself. Note to self, never assume with boys. The bathroom door swings open and I comment on how I like his pjs. He says, "thanks, but I'm soaking wet." Perplexed I ask, "why?". And without skipping a beat he replies (like I'm the idiot), "because I didn't have a towel!!!" I of course asked, "Well, why didn't you ask me for one?" All too quickly and in such a way only a boy could reply to something that simple, "well, I didn't know!" Baffled, I said, "Oh, well. Going forward, feel free to ask for a towel when you go shower."

He didn't know to ask for a towel when he went to shower and he's in third grade. I'm scared.

People, do you see what I see???? It's in their nature! Why on earth do we think boys/men are capable of seeing the obvious when clearly they are not?

Ah, geez.

7 comments:

Clh03uga said...

couldn't have stated it better myself! For example, I had a cold a few weeks ago. Josh ran in to Target to get some medicine for me, and I asked him to get some orange juice. (It always makes me feel better). He comes out with Sunny Delight! No lie! Then tries to tell me that Target didn't have any Orange Juice. So, feeling horrible I go in and come out with Tropicana!!!! THEN he says, well it's the same stuff! Tropicana=100% juice. Sunny D=high fructose corn syrup...yes honey...same stuff.

Denny said...

....and since a man wrote the song....The stanky legg is what you get when you don't use a wash cloth!!!!

Becca Daws said...

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Thinking of you this Sunday and will be praying. I know it is a really hard day when you are going through infertility.

Hugs!

Beth Goff said...

So funny!!!!!

Ashly said...

Those boys are cracking me up! Silly things. It's crazy how they're born like that

Kasey and Tyler Brindle said...

Too funny! My two step son act the same way! I have to go over it every other weekend with them and I feel like a broken record sometimes! This is why I pray everyday that God will bless me with a girl;)! Boys are cute though, I just have to sit back and laugh sometimes..

Kimberly Jones said...

Too funny and so true!!! At least we can all feel old together, because I haven't even heard the song...now at least I will know what it means. :)